Thursday, 9 January 2014

Things my next boyfriend should know

Just read this article on thoughtcatalog.com (http://thoughtcatalog.com/loren-bolilan/2014/01/9-things-my-next-boyfriend-should-know/) about 9 things that the author's future boyfriend should know. And honestly her points are real valid and very true to what I am looking for in my future partner so I thought I would adapt the points in her article and put my own flair on the points. And maybe add a few. Lol. So here goes;

Dear Future Boyfriend,

Hello there! I am not sure if we have already met but as sort of a disclaimer of what's to come, I thought I'll share a few things about me that you would come to know of. I am both a blessing and a curse. And I would like to think that I am more of a blessing than a curse (this is me being thick skin, just so you know >.<). I am nice, loving and probably the best girlfriend you'll ever have. Trust me! Otherwise, trust my friends! Lol. Everything will be worth it because I am worth it! Just that you'll probably have to tolerate all the shit I'm gonna put you through. But don't worry, I will tolerate all the shit you'll put me through too! =)

1. Please understand the woman's cycle

If you have interaction with other females in life, you would know that women generally are a mess when they have their period. Unfortunately, I am of no exception. So please make me feel pretty and loved. I'll probably be quite cranky and be a tad more emotional and sensitive, so all I need is for you to give me more hugs and kisses and just be there for me. And while I really don't have much control over my hormones, I promise to TRY to be as civil and sane throughout those 2 weeks each month. 

2. The best things in life are free

Please know that I prefer dates over gifts any time. To me, the best date is cuddling on the bed or sofa watching movies or just talking and enjoying each other's company. I don't need you to lavish me with fine-dining or Prada and LV bags. So safe your money please and instead lavish me with your hugs and kisses and allow me to spend time with my favorite person - YOU!


3. I am your girlfriend, not your daughter

Keep in mind that I don't need you to pay the entire bill. Actually, I will be more than willing to pay the bill as well. The only time I would like you to foot the bill is on our special dates like anniversaries and my birthday. Besides, I would like for us to save the money to fund our future trips. Nothing beats traveling with you as my companion as we we explore the world together.

4. It's nice to spend some time apart

As much as I would like to meet you 24/7 (after all, you will be my favorite person), I am pretty sure we will both appreciate time apart from one another. We both have lives before we met each other and while I am all out to introduce you to my life and let you know the other important people in my life, I still would like to have time to chill with girlfriends (to gush about you in private), spend time with my family, or just some alone time. Also, it will be nice for you to miss me every once in a while. Like the saying goes "absence makes the heart grow fonder".

5. Simple yet sincere over grand superfluous gestures

I LOVE receiving good mornings and good nights. It makes me happy to know that I am the first person you think about in the morning when you wake up and the last person you think about before you sleep. And let's save the long wordy cheesy messages for special occasions shall we. I prefer the short ones anyway. It would hurt to see the transition that after some time, as those long messages will eventually just be simple ordinary greetings. Plus, I wouldn't want you to feel frustrated of having to think about what to message me everyday to the point that you don't wish to anymore. So just keep it simple and sincere. That's always the best.



6. No mind games please!

I believe I can safely assume that guys don't like to read girl's minds and likewise I don't like to read your mind as well. Yes, over time we will get to know each other so well that maybe we will be able to finish each other's sentences. But till then, just tell me what you want and I'll tell you what I want. I believe that relationships are all about giving and taking. So let's meet halfway shall we?

7. I should not be Number 1. I should be the ONLY one!

If exclusivity is not a familiar word to you, then do us both a favor and let's just remain as friends. I would like to be your only one and I would love it if you could reassure me that you love me and that there is no one else. JUST ME. And if you do have someone else, just tell me. You will be doing both me and the other person a huge favor. Me especially since I have no desire to spend my time with a half-hearted asshole. And you will appreciate your ass not being kick the moment I find out about your indiscretions. 

8. Honesty is the best policy

I believe # 6 and # 7 comes hand in hand with this which is, honestly is the BEST policy and will be highly appreciated. I trust you and I don't wish to have that trust broken because, Rome wasn't build in a day and trust can't be build in a day too. If you don't love me anymore, which I hope won't happen since I want you to be my last already, please tell me. Even if we have to part, let's part amicably without any unnecessary drama.

9. Listen first, advice later

Here's one thing guys generally don't know, we girl's like to bitch and we don't want immediate advice. Most of the time we just want you to listen and just be there for us. Let us know that you are there and that everything will be fine. The advice can come later after we've cool down a bit. Yes, it doesn't seem logical, but that's just how we roll. And if you would like the same to be applied to you, I will be more than willing to oblige.

10. Over and above everything else, just be yourself

I don't want to fall in love with the actor of you. I want to get know and love the real you! We both don't want to stay in a relationship banked on some fictitious act. And let's be honest, sooner or later the true colors always appears. So why not show who you really are in the first place? What better way to feel good about ourselves (and our relationship) knowing that despite our differences and our inadequacies, we still love each other for who we are.

I know we will definitely fight. But if we both put in the effort to stick together, fix things, understand each other and more importantly don't let our prides take over, no doubt we will be invincible and have the best relationship of our lives. =)


And if you happen to be reading this, you might want to give me a hint on how to react and behave. But more importantly, how to find you or at least know you're coming. ;)


Yours truly,

A 20-something female


P.S. I will be patiently waiting for you. Because we don't need to rush. If something's bound to happen it will happen. In the right time, with the right person and with the best reason. =)



No comments:

Post a Comment